30 Questions to Ask Before Buying a Wedding Dress
Choosing the perfect wedding dress is an exhilarating yet often overwhelming experience for brides-to-be. With so many styles, fabrics, and details to consider, it’s natural to have a multitude of questions when embarking on this journey. To help make the process as smooth as possible, we’ve compiled a list of the top 30 Questions to Ask Before Buying a Wedding Dress to ask when shopping for their dream wedding gown, along with insightful answers.
1. What’s my budget for a wedding dress?
Determine a realistic budget early to narrow down your options and focus on dresses within your price range.
2. How far in advance should I start shopping for a wedding dress?
Begin your search at least 9-12 months before your wedding to allow time for fittings and alterations.
3. Do I need to make an appointment at bridal shop?
Yes, booking appointments ensures you receive personalised attention and a dedicated consultant to assist you.
4. What should I bring to my dress shopping appointment?
Bring photos of dress styles you like, wear appropriate undergarments, and bring along any accessories you plan to wear.
5. Should I bring a close friend or family member with me?
It’s often helpful to bring one or two trusted companions for support and honest feedback.
6. What wedding dress silhouette will flatter my body type?
Discuss your body type with your consultant, who can recommend styles that enhance your best features.
7. What are the most popular wedding dress styles right now?
Popular styles may vary, but classics like A-line, ball gown, and mermaid dresses are timeless choices.
8. What types of fabrics are commonly used for wedding dresses?
Common fabrics include satin, lace, tulle, and organza, each offering different looks and textures.
9. How important is dress length and train style?
Dress length and train style should align with your wedding venue and personal preferences.
10. Should I consider a custom-made wedding dress?
Custom-made dresses are an option but may take longer and cost more. They offer a truly unique design.
11. Can I order a wedding dress online?
Online purchases can be risky. You will not know the quality of the fabrics and sizing is very different. It’s best to try on dresses in person to ensure the right fit and you also then have the service from the store from start to finish.
12. What is the average cost of alterations?
Alteration costs depend on the complexity of changes; budget around £100-£280 for typical alterations.
13. How do I handle dress shopping if I’m on a tight schedule?
Consider off-the-rack dresses, sample sales, or rush order options.
14. What about bridesmaids’ dresses? Should they match my wedding gown?Bridesmaid dresses can complement your gown in colour or style, but they don’t need to match exactly.
15. Can I wear a coloured wedding dress instead of white or ivory?
Absolutely! Coloured wedding dresses, such as blush or champagne, are becoming more popular.
16. Should I buy my dress before choosing a wedding venue?
Ideally, select your venue first to ensure your dress suits the location and theme.
17. What should I do if I change my mind about my dress after purchasing it?
Consult the bridal shop’s return or exchange policy, and consider dress preservation if you decide to keep it.
18. How can I choose a dress that matches my wedding’s theme or style?
Consider the overall wedding theme, whether it’s rustic, vintage, or beach, to guide your dress choice.
19. Can I wear a second dress for the reception?
Yes, many brides change into a second dress for dancing and celebration. We will bustle your train to insure a more ease of movement for your celebrations if you wish to wear your dress the whole day.
20. Do I need to factor in the cost of accessories when budgeting for my dress?
Yes, accessories like veils, shoes and belts can add to the overall cost?
21. How can I ensure my dress stays in pristine condition on the big day?
Appoint a trusted bridesmaid to help you navigate your gown, keep it clean, and bustle the train.
22. What’s the average lead time for ordering a dress?
Allow 4-6 months for ordering, so there’s time for alterations and fittings.
23. Should I consider renting a wedding dress?
Renting can be an option for budget-conscious brides, especially if you don’t plan to keep the dress.
24. What’s the best way to clean and preserve my dress after the wedding?
Ask your bridal store if they have this service or consult a professional dry cleaner who specialises in wedding dress preservation.
25. How can I ensure my dress fits perfectly on the wedding day?
Schedule a final fitting close to your wedding date to ensure the best fit.
26. Can I make customisations to my dress, like adding sleeves or changing the neckline?
Many dresses can be customised to suit your preferences; discuss options with your consultant.
27. What’s the best way to transport my dress to the wedding venue?
Invest in a garment bag and hang the dress in a spacious car or lay it flat.
28. What if I lose or gain weight after buying my dress?
Discuss potential alterations with your seamstress; most dresses can be adjusted.
29. Should I consider pre-owned or vintage wedding dresses?
Vintage and pre-owned dresses can offer unique, eco-friendly options at a lower cost.
30. What’s the most important thing to consider when choosing a wedding dress?
Ultimately, choose the dress that makes you feel confident, beautiful, and reflects your personal style and vision for your wedding day.
Selecting the perfect wedding dress involves many decisions, and these 30 questions and answers can help guide brides-to-be in their dress shopping journey. Remember that your wedding gown should not only meet your budget and style preferences but also make you feel like the radiant bride you’ve always dreamed of becoming. Enjoy the process, and happy dress shopping!
Contact us now to let us help you find your perfect wedding dress, your bridesmaids dresses and all the suits for all the gents.